Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burnaby the traveling turtle
Burnaby is a critically endangered Wood Turtle. They live from Ontario to the east coast. He was found wandering the streets of Burnaby B.C.(that explains his name). He has not been well looked after and has some health issues. He was taken to a local shelter, who took him to a local veterinarian. The veterinary clinic was able to identify what kind of turtle Burnaby is and where he is from. Clearly he didn't get to B.C. on his own. Getting back to Ontario needed a little help too. The vet clinic arranged to ship Burnaby to an Ontario wildlife centre.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/wo...-1.4190835

So Burnaby the Wood Turtle has made it home. Who knows how long ago someone picked him up in the wild and took him away.
Many thanks to all who helped. He can now live a fuller life and receive the type of care and feeding he needs.

This is an example of why wildlife should be left in the wild. It was very lucky that things turned out alright. It could easily have ended in tragedy.
Welcome home Burnaby.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh poor little thing, wandering the streets. But it's good that he escaped because now he will be able to get the food he needs, and a suitable life in the right environment.

I suppose someone thought he'd make a good pet and took him, without the faintest clue about what he really needed. They probably fed him on lettuce or something and he has malnutrition.

There are some exceptional circumstances(such as wildlife rescue of an injured animal etc) but wild creatures need to stay in the wild.
There is no doubt he was taken from the wild. It is illegal to have one of these local creatures in Ontario. He was probably captured as a baby. He would have looked like a cute pet until he started to grow and keep on growing.

I don't know if he can be released to the wild. They are still assessing him. If his lack of nutrition in the past has left him weak now, he may not be capable of wild life.
He will at least have a proper set up for his kind of turtle and the right food. He should still thrive. It would be nice if he could return to his home lake, but I don't know how they  will ever figure that out.

In the mean time I wish him well.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine