Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetarianism
I lived as a vegetarian, vegan actually for health reasons when I was 21. The doctor took me off of all animal sourced foods. I was fine with eating that way, but as my health improved I went back to eating meat. I had no reason not to.

Now that I am aware of how animals are treated I am not wanting to be a part of it. I have no medical reason to avoid meat, but I feel better for making the change.
I think of it as part of living greener and being in harmony with the planet.

If enough of us make choices like that we will end up changing the world. It is a slow process. The world has already changed a lot.
This time last year we were distressed about Gadhimai. Now it has been banned. I didn't expect that to happen so fast.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Nuts can be really yummy, especially when spiced up with good sauces. What else does your friend cook?
That sounds delicious. I would think nuts could work in a lot of regular recipes. The flavour comes from the sauce anyhow.

I am amazed at how many people are vegetarian now. At very least people are cutting back on eating meat. I think it is a trend that is going to continue

Does your friend just use peanuts in the sauce or are the nuts prepared in a special way first.
Catherine

It's called nutmeat. It comes in a can. Kinda looks a bit like dog food, thankfully doesn't taste like dog food.
She's Israeli so she cooks a fair bit of traditional foods from her country like shakshuka and her homemade hummus is amazing. And she really likes spicy food so a lot of curries and what not. Her cooking always has so much flavour and the recipes are so simple.

And if you haven't had lebanese baklava before, I'm so surprised I hadn't, do it.
I have never seen nutmeat. I must look around and see if there is a similar product here.

I love hummus, but I have never made it. I need to check out recipes and see what I can make. The Lebanese Baklava would be good. I have had the Greek Baklava.

I like a milder level of spice, but I still like some.
Catherine

Hummus is very easy to make, so long as you have a blender. Even a small hand blender will do, but you just have to work a little harder.
The ingredients are (well this is how I make it)....
A can of drained, ready cooked Chickpeas. 4 dessertspoons of Tahini, a good squeeze of lemon juice (mind the pips!) and some chopped garlic. You can add black pepper and salt, to taste. Whizz it all up -and voila! Hummus!

Good calcium and protein for vegans.
Now that is a recipe I can follow. I might season it differently. I will have to look for a source of Tahini, I know they have it in Toronto.
I have a hand blender and a bigger processor. I use the hand blender for many things. I am sure it would work for hummus.

I use it in recipes now and it is nourishing. I like to add the hummus to my pumpkin, squash and carrot soups. It makes them a fuller meal.
I have a muffin recipe that does well if I add hummus. It seems to be the most versatile food ever.

How big a can of chick peas. There are different sized cans here and I have no idea what sized cans you have in England.
Catherine

Topped with olive oil. You can't forget the olive oil!

Depends how much hummus you want to make. Average can here is about 400g
I would have to get olive oil. I usually use Canola. It is a local product and not too expensive. I would think hummus needs the proper oil.

I should look around at the different stores that sell hummus. It might be cheaper to buy a big tub of ready made stuff if it was produced locally. I could season it myself.. I like it with lemon and dill. I can get hummus with paprika and that is nice. I am sure there are lots of ways I can use it. If I can get the supplies it would be fun to try and make it. First I need to find the Tahini paste.
Catherine

Tahini is quite oily in itself, so I have never added olive oil, platy. But maybe I should try adding a bit?

You can usually get Tahini in a health food store. I have found the "Sunita" brand Light Tahini to be the tastiest I have tried. I don't know if you can buy that brand over there?

By the way....Tahini in small doses occasionally is okay for dogs. Maybe a half teaspoonful for an occasional treat. And it is very funny to watch them eat that! LOL!