Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter clothing for dogs
Every winter dogs are out there in the cold. It is hard on their feet and they can become quite cold in a short time. In a bad winter like this one it is time to consider dogs coats and boots.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a...nths/93349

Most dogs seem to like their coats once they realize it means a walk, a warm comfy walk.
There are good choices and it is possible to fit most sizes of dog. No dog should be out there shivering in the cold.
I wouldn't like it and neither would a dog. Choose a smart looking coat and I am sure the dog will be happy. They know when they look good.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, dogs need dog coats in the winter. Very thick-haired types of dogs with an "underlayer" of soft fur and a top layer of longer fur may not need them but any others do. And in serious negative temperatures with snow and ice it's wise to put dog boots on them too. Snow can freeze in between their toes and cause bad injury.

Misty never minded her coat! When we got the new stove put in, on a very cold night, I would warm up her coat a little on the stove pipe before we went out! She really liked that and used to wriggle and wag when I put it on her. I could see how she appreciated it.
I never though about warming the coat. That would feel so good.
When we can spoil our pets it is a wonderful thing.
Even years later you can remember it fondly.

In the winter we need to spoil our pets. It is just too cold to take a dog out for a walk otherwise. 

The one exception is a big Newfoundland dog that I know. I wonder if she even knows it is cold outside. Her fur is so thick she looks like a big wooly black bear that you can hug.
Catherine

Yes, there are some dogs who are built for the cold, and who actually suffer more in a nicely-heated living room!
I met a big German Shepherd called Jasper who was like that today. He had a double coat (like Wolves have.)
To know whether or not your dog is built for the cold, take a look at their fur. Those with a soft fluffy under-layer, plus a top coat of more coarse shiny hairs, are "double coated", and can take the cold weather better. Any dog with a single coat (that is, just one layer of simple hairs) can't take it at all, and they really need insulation.

But even the double coated ones need protection for feet in seriously freezing conditions. Some people who have dogs like Border Collies with long hair on their legs, also bind the dogs' legs with bandages if they have to walk through deep snow. Snow can get stuck on the fur there and freeze on. It's not only heavy to carry around, it can lower the dog's temperature. The bandages will pick up some snow but nothing like the fur will do.
Right now it is raining. Can you believe it. Tomorrow we get the extreme cold back.
People with double coated dogs have really smart looking raincoats for them. In the rain the double coat can soak up water like a sponge. I understand it takes many towels to get the double coat dry again.

Bandages are a good idea. I never thought about snow freezing to a dog's legs. You are right, boots are a must. In the city the sidewalks are cold and they have salt on them. Salt can really injure a dog's feet.

In places where there are strong winds in the winter a dog's ears could be at risk of frost bite. 
They make hats that will cover a dog's ears. Some short haired dogs have almost no hair on their ears. For them a hat is a must.

They need to design proper snow suits for dogs. I wonder if they would wear them.
Catherine

I think a proper snow suit is a good idea. Generally I am not into "dressing up dogs" but in extreme weather conditions it's important to make sure they have protection. And short coated dogs need a coat even on a "chilly" day when it isn't even below freezing.

Yes, rain is almost as bad. Especially cold rain. When a dog gets wet through it gets very chilled to the bone.
Now it is cold and wet. If at all possible people should keep their dogs inside.
If they can't do that they will need warm coats.

I think someone needs to design dog coats for different seasons and different climates.
We need waterproof winter coats, for dogs and people. Either that or we need a rain coat that can go over the winter coat.
That would work for most dogs. No short haired dog should be out in this weather without protection. Dogs might need higher waterproof boots too. There are dirty, deep slush puddles everywhere.  

I think there needs to be a whole new line of dog clothing that considers the weather we have. We probably need dog sun hats for the summer.  Good thing most dogs are sensible about clothing.
Catherine