Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nature: Animal Odd Couples
It seems that we don't starve from lack of food. We starve from lack of friendship.
People started keeping pets because we needed the companionship. Animals started being our pets because they needed our friendship. Animals become friends with each other because of the same basic need. Friendship with our own species is not enough. If it was then we would not have pets and animals would not form bonds.

Maybe it is why we keep hoping there is life out there in space. The universe is large and we feel lonely in it.

Of course those of us with close bonds with animal friends don't feel the loneliness. We have something to fill the space.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well put Catherine. My chickens and goats are very good friends. They roam together and watch out for each other. They have always lived together and thus formed that bond.
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
I had a very shy little Rough Green Snake, a tiny cricket eating snake. I put two small Ocellated Skinks in his tank and he seemed to relax and spend more time out where I could see him and generally was a happier snake. He also lived for years. I think it helped that he had someone else to watch out for danger. If the Skinks were relaxed then he could relax. Before that he had only himself to rely on. They were very comfortable together.

If chickens and goats can mix why not some kinds of snake and lizard.
Of course he was a cricket eating snake and they were all of a comfortable size to be together.

There is safety in numbers and company.Heart
Catherine

(02-24-2014, 05:46 PM)Catherine Wrote: I had a very shy little Rough Green Snake, a tiny cricket eating snake. I put two small Ocellated Skinks in his tank and he seemed to relax and spend more time out where I could see him and generally was a happier snake. He also lived for years. I think it helped that he had someone else to watch out for danger. If the Skinks were relaxed then he could relax. Before that he had only himself to rely on. They were very comfortable together.

If chickens and goats can mix why not some kinds of snake and lizard.
Of course he was a cricket eating snake and they were all of a comfortable size to be together.

There is safety in numbers and company.Heart

That is amazing for a snake to get along with lizards. I love it when animals pair with other animals that you would never imagine they would get along.
Quote:That is amazing for a snake to get along with lizards.

I certainly did not expect it to work. I cannot remember now why I tried it. I think the first lizard was a rescue and then I added more of his own kind. The snake was definitely happier with the lizards around. I think that is why he lived so long. It was less stressful to have company than to be alone.

Maybe that is true of all life.
Catherine

This is one of the couples in the movie. The clip is about 2 years old.
It is interesting that they did not just put them together. They built up a bond between the two so that they would be safe together.
They are right though, there are enough similarities in their behavior that they would enjoy each others company.

They would both be lonely without each other. That is why they are bonded. Good friends are found in the most unlikely places.Heart
Catherine