Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woman removes 85 ticks from her dog!
Consider this a general warning about the dangers of ticks and Lyme disease. A woman in the UK had to have 85 ticks removed from her dog. She has had to have her home treated by a pest control company and she and the dog are both being treated for Lyme disease.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4294831/ticks-on-pets/

Ticks and Lyme disease are a serious problem that is getting worse. Now that we are into tick season we need to check ourselves and our pets to remove any ticks and prevent the occurrence of Lyme disease. If we suspect Lyme disease seek medical help. The earlier it is treated the better.

It would be wise to learn the risk levels for your own area and learn who to call if you have a tick bite.
Some people will get Lyme disease this year. It would be better to not be one of them and not to have your pet be one of them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Lyme disease is scary. It can happen in the UK too.
An ordinary blood test at the doctor's won't be useful, unless a special test is done. Having contracted Lyme is not always shown by the presence of a "bullseye rash" at the site of the bite either....and of course, that's only shown on human skin.
I am sure the vets will also have a Lyme test for dogs and cats which should be specifically asked for.
The cure is usually a long treatment with Doxycycline (for humans and maybe the same for dogs, I don't know. But of course that in itself is no fun.)

I honestly don't think average doctors take Lyme seriously enough. It is a debilitating disease if it takes hold.
Lyme disease is new to Canada. We have had some cases, but now it is really here. I am not sure the doctors are aware enough to test for it soon enough. If you leave it too long is can be hard to treat.  We have it here more now because of climate change. Things are gradually moving north. It is not a sudden thing, it is a gradual shift. Certainly the ticks are going to be more common. I understand Britain has a serious Lyme disease problem. 

This is going to be one more thing we have to be careful about. We have to watch our pets because of the heat and we have to check them regularly for ticks. We also have to check ourselves. They will need a quick and easy test for Lyme disease so they can begin treatment right away. We can't afford the cost of people or animals who have long term problems with Lyme disease.
Maybe they will develop a vaccine. That would make life easier.
Catherine

Well I saw an advertisement in a newspaper today for an electronic "flea & Tick detector" (battery operated)

I am not necessarily advertising this particular product, just including the link so we can see what it is and how it works:

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/flea-det...B8QAvD_BwE

There will be other manufacturers and other outlets for the same or similar products, and competitive prices of course.

I have never used one, but it might be very helpful to use on animals, especially long haired dogs or black dogs (where Ticks are hard to see.) There is an LED light which comes on if Ticks or fleas are detected. It sounds like a much healthier option than chemical sprays/insect repellents etc.

Sad but the Ticks and fleas are zapped apparently and killed. It seems the "charge" won't be hurtful to the animal. I wonder if that could also be used on human skin?
I wonder if the tick detector works. There will be a need for products like this if Lyme Disease keeps spreading. I am sure this is going to be the first of many products. If there is a market people will come up with products.

If it works quickly it would make life easier for people with a number of dogs.
Do other animals have problems with ticks. What about sheep and cows?

So I looked it up.

https://www.scarsdalevets.com/wp-content...isease.pdf

Lyme disease is a more involved problem than I thought. In some places farmers will have to check their animals.
Working farm dogs would be at higher risk and would need to be checked. Humans working with farm animals would have to be careful. If I am understanding the article ticks from a dead farm animal could transfer to a human or dog and transmit Lyme Disease.

As it becomes more common we will need to develop strategies to deal with it. In the mean time a tick detector might be a good thing.
Catherine