Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extinct animals size
(04-09-2019, 02:08 PM)Catherine Wrote:
Quote:I didn't realize that there were more than one type of Smilodon.

There are 3 species of smilodon. 

[Image: dcp33z1-7e871f15-b887-41d1-9aa3-efde19a5...yJ4xleCx70]

Muttaburrasaurus was a genus of herbivorous ornithopod dinosaur. It was about 8 m (26 ft) long and weighed around 2.8 tonnes.

Fossils have been found in Queensland, Australia.
I guess I have only heard of the North American Smilodon.

Muttaburrasaurus is a solid looking dinosaur. Are they only found in Australia? Do they have many specimens so far.
It is one I have never heard of around here and Canada does have a lot of dinosaur fossils.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(04-30-2019, 02:55 PM)Catherine Wrote: Muttaburrasaurus is a solid looking dinosaur. Are they only found in Australia? Do they have many specimens so far.
It is one I have never heard of around here and Canada does have a lot of dinosaur fossils.

I think muttaburrasaurus is only found in Australia and many specimens have been found.

[Image: d8ynujr-a63c54e0-4ca9-4d46-8e0f-1be51c96...IRt2qQiQng]

Hippopotamus size comparison

Hippopotamus Gorgops(extinct), Hippopotamus Antiquus(extinct), Archaeopotamus Harvardi(extinct), Hexaprotodon Sivalensis(extinct), Hippopotamus Minor(extinct), Hippopotamus Amphibius and Pygmy Hippopotamus.

[Image: d5m32ha-a2e1bc03-8ca5-4337-8a47-1c32179f...UIweVJWniM]

The American mastodon had a similar appearance to elephants but were covered with a thick coat of shaggy hair. Compared to mammoths, mastodons had shorter legs, a longer body and were more heavily muscled. They had a low and long skull with long curved tusks with those of the males being more massive. The American Mastodon could grow upto 3 m (10 ft) tall and weighed 5 - 8 tonnes. Mastodons had cusp-shaped teeth, very different from mammoth and elephant teeth,well-suited for chewing leaves and branches of trees and shrubs.

Fossils have been found in North America.
I saw a mastodon skeleton at the Page Museum in Los Angeles. It was done so I could walk right up to the skeleton and stand face to face with it. It was huge. I had to look up at it and the tusks were impressive.  I wish we still had mastodons. Sadly North America lost most of its really large animals. 

I didn't realize there had been larger hippos that went extinct. It would have been impressive to see a group of the larger hippos together.
Catherine

(09-26-2019, 03:43 PM)Catherine Wrote: I saw a mastodon skeleton at the Page Museum in Los Angeles. It was done so I could walk right up to the skeleton and stand face to face with it. It was huge. I had to look up at it and the tusks were impressive.  I wish we still had mastodons. Sadly North America lost most of its really large animals. 

I didn't realize there had been larger hippos that went extinct. It would have been impressive to see a group of the larger hippos together.

Mastodon is robustly built than modern elephants and it's tusks is quite thick. Indeed it would have been impressive to see larger hippos. Modern hippos destroy crocs !

[Image: ddi9q7d-8f706c93-adca-4efb-88b4-14055da2...nHeKg6WLYQ]

Doedicurus was the largest glyptodont, about the size of a small car. It was 1.5 m (5 ft) tall, 4 m (13 ft) in length and weighed in the neighborhood of 1.9 - 2.3 tonnes. This slow moving heavily armored herbivore had a huge domed carapace that was made of many tightly fitted scutes. It's long tail of solid bone was a formidable weapon which had long spikes or knobs on the end.

Fossils of been found in South America (Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay).
Doedicurus is just too cute. It is so unlikely looking. Everything about it is funny and interesting. It is just big enough to be impressive and just small enough to be loveable. I really wish we still had these guys around.

The Mastodon was impressive. I just stood there looking at it. It was so much more than I expected.
Catherine

(10-18-2019, 02:00 PM)Catherine Wrote: Doedicurus is just too cute. It is so unlikely looking. Everything about it is funny and interesting. It is just big enough to be impressive and just small enough to be loveable. I really wish we still had these  guys around still.

The Mastodon was impressive. I just stood there looking at it. It was so much more than I expected.

I'm not lucky enough to see any of the skeletons of extinct animals. Of course i would have just stood and looked at the mastodon skeleton for more time if i could able to see it.
I don't know if any museum has examples of all of these animals. I have seen some of them. You really would love seeing them up close. The skeletons are impressive. Even more impressive would be to actually see them when they were alive. The Pleistocene age had some beautiful animals. We have similar species now, but the earlier family members were beautiful.

Herds of the Bison Latifrons would have really shaken the ground. The smaller bison we have now are big enough.
The musk ox in the picture looks like the musk ox we have now. Are they very similar?
Catherine

(10-19-2019, 04:02 PM)Catherine Wrote: I don't know if any museum has examples of all of these animals. I have seen some of them. You really would love seeing them up close. The skeletons are impressive. Even more impressive would be to actually see them when they were alive. The Pleistocene age had some beautiful animals. We have similar species now, but the earlier family members were beautiful.

Herds of the Bison Latifrons would have really shaken the ground. The smaller bison we have now are big enough.
The musk ox in the picture looks like the musk ox we have now. Are they very similar?

The musk ox is same and along with the reindeer, these 2 animals still exist. There is also saiga antelope that still exist today, it lived in the Pleistocene and this animal is not in my image.
I thought the musk ox looked the same. I have seen a live one up close and they look just like your picture. They do look ancient.
The reindeer look the same too.  I don't know if I have seen that kind of antelope.

If the musk ox and the reindeer can survive in modern times I would think that the others could have continued to exist. It is sad that we have lost them. The world would be an amazing place if they were still around.
Catherine